The Appalachian State University campus is currently operating under SPECIAL conditions.
The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place to support social distancing. In-person instruction has transitioned to a system of alternative course delivery. View the latest information on the App State Coronavirus Information website. Read the latest update posted 4/6/2020 at 5:20 p.m.
Read the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated March 31, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Club Advisor Resources
Organizations rarely become successful without the active involvement of an advisor. The University requires that each student organization be advised by at least one full-time faculty or staff member. The advisor who simply lends his/her name to an organization to fulfill a requirement does a great disservice to that group. Effective advising requires numerous skills normally associated with teaching or counseling and a willingness to commit time to these activities. Advising often offers few rewards other than the personal satisfaction that one has contributed significantly to the growth and development of students through co-curricular activities.
The Office of Campus Activies has certain expectations of student organization advisors:
- Be knowledgeable about appropriate University policies and student organization policies (student organization policies are listed on the Office of Campus Activities website at http://campusactivities.appstate.edu/policies--guidelines)
- Understand that student organizations can be held accountable to the same policies as each individual student. Please review the Code of Student Conduct at studentconduct.appstate.edu.
- Have a genuine interest in the goals and objectives of the organization.
- Be willing to meet with the group and individuals on an occasional basis.
- Be available during each semester to give guidance to the organization concerning financial, personal, and programming matters.
- Take part in some of the organization’s activities.
- Develop a supportive atmosphere where students help themselves under your guidance.
Specific roles of being a student organization advisor:
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings when possible.
- Have regular meeting with the officers to discuss organizational goals, assist with the development of programs, discuss the financial status of the organization, etc.
- Serve as a sounding board for the organization.
- Be familiar with the group’s history and traditions. The advisor should also be familiar with the constitution and by-laws and should be prepared to assist with the interpretation of those.
- Recognize the general financial condition of the organization and encourage the maintenance of sound financial records.
- Monitor the group’s functions and encourage all members of the group to fully participate, assume appropriate responsibility for group activities. And to maintain a balance between academic responsibilities and co-curricular involvement.
- Consider the impact of activities the group wishes to engage in. An advisor has the right to tell the group that they cannot have a certain activity, etc.
- Intervene in conflicts between group members and/or officers.
- Provide continuity and stability as leadership changes.
- Contact the Office of Campus Activities to discuss organizational problems, concerns, plans, and changes in organizational status.
- Sign all documents which require an advisor’s approval.
- Provide honest feedback to group members and positive reinforcement for accomplishments.
- Share your experience and expertise when appropriate.
- Provide an “outside” view or perspective.
The Office of Campus Activities would like to thank you for donating your valuable time to clubs & organizations at Appalachian State University. It is this commitment to the integration of academic and leadership development that makes our students so successful.
For a PDF version of the advisor roles and expectations click HERE.
We are very excited to provide you with a club advisor manual. This manual was created to help assist you in understanding and fulfilling your responsibilities and duties to your organization. This manual provides information about general advising, its role on campus, as well as the abundant supply of resources available to you and your organization. By clicking the link above, you will be taken to an interactive PDF version of the advisor manual.