The Appalachian State University campus is currently operating under SPECIAL conditions.
The university remains open, with emergency management protocols activated and operational modifications and precautions in place to support social distancing. In-person instruction has transitioned to a system of alternative course delivery. View the latest information on the App State Coronavirus Information website. Read the latest update posted 4/6/2020 at 5:20 p.m.
Read the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated March 31, 2020 at 9:20 a.m.
Campus Activities Coronavirus FAQs
Campus Activities Coronavirus FAQs In keeping consistent with the University’s response to the COVID-19 virus concerns, all Student Affairs-sponsored events and programming through April 7 have been canceled or postponed. Please see below to answer some frequently asked questions moving forward. Information will be updated as the University moves forward.
Is the Campus Activities office open?
In response to University guidance regarding COVID-19, beginning Tuesday, March 17, the Campus Activities staff is working remotely and is available to support students. Please email email@example.com if you would like to schedule a virtual meeting with a staff member.
Are the following programs/events still happening?
- Boonebox? No. This event has been canceled.
- Greek Week? No. We are creating on-line opportunities. Follow us on Instagram @appstategreeks
- Student Organization Leadership Awards? Yes, applications are open and we will have a virtual ceremony
- Spring Fling? To be determined
- Acapocalypse? To be determined
- Battle of the Bands? To be determined
What virtual events are being offered?
- Officer Transition Workshops (dates TBD)
- Constitution Workshop (TBD)
How do I get Club/Organization mail/packages/checks from Club Hub?
Club Hub is currently closed. At this moment, your mail/packages will be held until the end of the semester. If there is a package or piece of mail that you need immediately, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will forward it or arrange for you to pick it up from the PSU Info Desk.
Can I still apply for the Student Leadership Scholarships?
Yes! The deadline to apply has been extended until midnight on Sunday, March 29. Apply Now!
Can I still hold my club meetings or events in April?
All in-person meetings and group events through the end of April should be canceled. We encourage Clubs and Organizations to continue to communicate virtually. App students have access to use Zoom <https://appstate.zoom.us/> to host and record meetings. Here are some *quick tutorials*.
Can I postpone my event to April?
On Friday, March 27, Governor Roy Cooper issued a stay-st-home order that will go into effect on Monday, March 30. The Plemmons Student Union will be closed through April 29. All reservations will be canceled during this time. Please contact PSU at (828) 262-3032 or email David Tye or Christopher Farthing with questions or concerns.
Can I make room reservations for Fall 2020?
Yes! Please contact Christopher Farthing (email@example.com) to reserve meeting/event space in the Student Union or Legends for the 2020-2021 academic year.
Can my planned new member education/initiation/induction still take place?
All new member education/intake processes should be conducted virtually through Zoom (if possible). We highly discourage large meetings on or off-campus. If your organization has a special circumstance (small chapter, cluster/regional initiation), please be in contact with the Fraternity & Sorority Life Team.
Can my club or organization travel for conferences, club-related events, or club socials?
For the most current information regarding travel, please visit https://www.appstate.edu/go/coronavirus/travel/
On March 27, Gov. Roy Cooper in an effort to help mitigate the ongoing spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in North Carolina. This order includes Appalachian State University's mandatory staff currently working on campus and is in effect from 5 p.m. on Monday, March 30, through April 29, 2020. Read the North Carolina Stay-at-home Order.
As of March 11, university-sponsored travel outside the state of North Carolina was suspended. University-sponsored travel within the state of North Carolina to gatherings of 100 or more people was suspended. This includes student organizations.
Will Club Council continue to grant funds to clubs?
At this point, Club Council will not be allocating funds for On-Campus Educational Programming or Educational Travel until we have more direction from the University.
What about the Student Government Association (SGA) elections?
SGA Presidential/Vice Presidential elections will still occur! Voting has been postponed reflecting the updated class schedules and will give students time to focus on personal health, safety, and shifts in the academic schedules. Candidates will be able to campaign virtually March 30-April 3. Students will be able to vote via AppSync April 6 at 8:00 am until April 15 at noon.
If I need to get in contact with someone from Campus Activities, how should I do that?
We will be checking our firstname.lastname@example.org account regularly.
What resources are available to handle the stress of this semester?
- App’s Counseling & Psychological Services has some helpful information.
- Here are Wellness & Prevention Services programs and special social-distancing events
- The CDC also has some tips on managing stress and anxiety.
In the meantime, Campus Activities encourages you to be mindful and informed about how you best support your clubs and organizations, officers, and members. Here are some helpful tips:
Keep yourself healthy
- Wash your hands often (don’t forget to wash for at least 20 seconds with warm, soapy water! Wash to your favorite song OR our favorite, the App State Fight Song!)
- If you are feeling especially anxious, know you are not alone! You can always contact the Counseling Center at (828) 262-3180.
More info on Zoom
- Moving meetings or events to an online or virtual format using the Zoom Online Meeting Platform to accommodate members who may not remain near campus. Zoom may be helpful for full organization meetings, committee meetings, interviews, one-on-one conversations, and more.
- Zoom is a web-based conferencing platform that is accessible on macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android mobile devices. App students, faculty, and staff can create virtual meetings that can be joined by anyone in the world with a simple link. Up to 300 people can participate in a Zoom meeting.
- There is a screen-sharing feature that would allow a PowerPoint or documents to be displayed and discussed as well as a recording option if the content would like to be recorded in advance and distributed to organization members.
- Zoom One Minute Video Tutorials: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-Video-Tutorials
Utilizing AppSync for your Clubs & Organizations
- Elections The elections tool can be used to hold internal elections or polls for your organization. Here is information on Creating an Organization Election.
- News The news organization tools can be used to share news posts and distribute information to your organization’s members. Here is a News Organization Tool Overview
- Roster Messaging The organization tool can be used to easily communicate with all the members listed on your organization’s roster. Here are instructions on Creating a Message Relay.
As a reminder, the Campus Activities staff is here to support you and your organizations. If you have any further questions throughout this time, please email us at email@example.com.